No matter what the weather is like outside, there are plenty of indoor places to take kids in the St. Louis area to burn off some energy. When it’s too hot or cold to go outside, consider one of these options for a fun day indoors with the kids. Indoor playgrounds, public pools, and recreation centers offer year-round fun for everyone in the family. Even though the weather may not be cooperating, that doesn’t mean your day has to be ruined. There are plenty of indoor destinations that are just as fun as outdoor ones. So if you’re stuck inside, explore some of these options and have a great time.
1. The City Museum is the perfect place to explore on a cold day. A day of exploring the caverns, tunnels, and slides is sure to warm your spirits. You’ll have a blast climbing through the museum, and you’ll love discovering all the hidden treasures.
2. The Magic House is the perfect place to spend a winter day. It is possible to catch pretend fish, run the nation and climb Jack’s beanstalk from the Oval Office. There is fun to be had at the Magic House.
3. The Saint Louis Science Center is the perfect place for families who need some extra space after being cooped up inside. With plenty of room to explore and tons of interactive exhibits, everyone in the family is sure to have a blast. The James S. McDonnell Planetarium is a great place to spend an evening stargazing. The OMNIMAX Theater is also a great place to catch a movie and learn more about science through hands-on exhibits.
4. If you’re looking for a fun and educational activity for your child, consider taking them to Myseum in Town & Country. They’ll be able to explore and learn about science in a fun and interactive environment. Plus, they might just develop a newfound love of science!
5. The Missouri History Museum is a great place to visit to escape the summer heat or beat the winter blues. There are plenty of fun activities to enjoy, including storytelling, crafts, concerts, and more. Be sure to set aside plenty of time to explore the History Clubhouse during your visit. You won’t be disappointed!
6. The Climatron at the Missouri Botanical Garden provides a much-needed dose of green when spring can’t come fast enough. This lush, tropical oasis is the perfect place to relax and escape the winter blues. With its towering palms, cascading waterfalls, and exotic flowers, the Climatron is a truly magical place.
7. If your kids are full of energy and love to jump around, then you should definitely take them to Rockin’ Jump or SkyZone. These huge indoor trampoline parks are guaranteed to tire out your little ones, but they’ll be having so much fun they won’t even mind.
8. A visit to the Gateway Arch is the perfect way to lift your spirits! Explore the Museum at the Gateway Arch and learn about the history of this iconic structure.
9. Looking for a fun and unique way to spend some time indoors? Then why not check out BounceU or Monkey Joe’s, where you can enjoy bouncing around on giant inflatables? Both locations are sure to provide you with hours of fun, so be sure to stop by next time you’re looking for something to do.
10. Spending an afternoon at America’s Incredible Pizza is the perfect way to forget about the bad weather outside. There is something for everyone with a variety of options like laser tag, carnival games, and go-karts. Be sure to stop by the buffet for a bite to eat and hit the arcade before you leave.
11. The Edwardsville Children’s Museum is a big hit with little visitors! They can play pretend on a big scale at the museum, which is located in Edwardsville, Illinois. The museum features a variety of exhibits that are sure to capture the imagination of any child.
12. Take a break from the dreary winter weather and explore the Saint Louis Art Museum. With a wide variety of artwork on display, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Spend an afternoon browsing the galleries, and you’re sure to find some new favorite pieces.
13. If you’re feeling low and need a quick pick-me-up, head over to the Sophia M. Sachs Butterfly House. With more than a thousand butterflies fluttering around, as well as lush foliage and colorful flowers, it’s impossible not to feel your spirits lift in this balmy climate. Just be aware that the Butterfly House is usually closed for maintenance in January.
14. If you have an extra day and want to spend it doing something fun, head over to the bowling alley. Tropicana Lanes, located in Richmond Heights, Missouri, is the state’s largest bowling center. The center has hosted the Professional Bowlers Tour and offers leagues, open bowling, and cosmic bowling. The facility also offers a full-service bar and grill, making it the perfect place to spend an evening with friends or family.
15. Whether you have young kids or older ones, Playtime Party Center in Wentzville is sure to occupy them. While your kids can explore the indoor playground and inflatables, older kids can play laser tag, play arcade games, and tackle the virtual rock wall. There’s something for everyone at Playtime Party Center!
16. Victory Raceway: The go-karts at Victory Raceway are euro-style and perfect for leaving wicked weather in the dust, at least temporarily. Note that children must be at least 6 years old and 50 inches tall to race.
17. Edison’s Entertainment Complex is a one-stop shop for fun and food. Located in Edwardsville, Illinois, the complex offers a variety of activities to work up an appetite, including bowling and laser tag. Inventive Eats-n-Drinks is the perfect place to refuel with a hearty meal after a day of play. With its comfort food and carnival-style atmosphere, Edison’s is sure to please everyone in the family.
18. Today’s public libraries offer a variety of services and resources that are unique and beneficial to children. Children’s centers offer a safe and fun environment for children to play and learn, while unique items available for checkout allow children to explore new interests and hobbies. Libraries also offer a variety of programs and events designed specifically for children, making them a great resource for families. If you wish to register for a storytime, craft, author visit, or other activity you must check out the online calendars for St. Charles County Library, St. Louis Public Library, St. Charles City-County Library, and Ferguson Public Library.
19. Do you ever feel like you’re being toyed with by Mother Nature? If so, the World Chess Hall of Fame in Central West End is the perfect place to escape. With its impressive collection of chess-related artifacts and exhibits, the World Chess Hall of Fame is a fun and educational way to while away an afternoon.
20. Sweetology is the perfect place to spend a rainy day. You can create a scrumptious masterpiece while enjoying the company of friends or family. With locations in Town and Country and O’Fallon, Sweetology is convenient for everyone.